Monday, 23 September 2013

Juicing!

I love juicing. I try to juice most mornings, like a pre-breakfast breakfast to give my body a punch of nutrients and hydration to start the day but it also makes a wonderful afternoon tea. In general I juice on an empty stomach and then have a meal about an hour later because while juices are packed full of goodness they're fairly light on calories and are absorbed quickly and don't keep you full for as long as a meal or smoothie. I find juicing helps me make better food choices throughout the day and puts me in the right mindset for a healthy productive day!

Why do I juice?
Primarily for the health benefits and to add extra serves of veggies to my diet. Juicing removes the insoluble fibre and allows you to absorb the nutrients quickly and efficiently. It takes less energy to digest juice and is much easier on your tummy. Juicing allows you to consume a much larger quantity of veggies, can you imagine sitting down to munch on 4 carrots and 8 cups of greens in the morning? Nope! But juice it and it's a yummy way to start the day.

What juicer do I use?
I've used a centrifugal juicer- we were given a Breville as a wedding present which served us well until it jumped off the counter. These are quick and work best for large quantities of carrots, apples, oranges etc. but they have problems with leafy greens (which are the things you really want in your juice!)
Hand crank masticating juicer (for wheatgrass), these are slow and annoying but you're usually only using them for small amounts of wheatgrass.
and I've settled on an electric masticating juicer- we have an Oscar Vital Max which has served me very very well. It's the best vegetable juicer I've used but it's not as good with juicy fruits like strawberries which it tends to mush. It also has attachments that allow you to make nut butters and frozen fruit 'ice cream's.

No matter which juicer you choose remember to clean it well after use to avoid any mould!

What do I juice?
My favourites are carrots, baby spinach, lettuce, mandarins, pomegranate, cucumber, pineapple, beetroot, red/orange/yellow capsicums etc. but you can juice almost anything! In general it's better to juice your veggies and eat your fruit so I try to use the fruit minimally to sweeten the juice (alternatively you can use stevia). I try to aim for a max of 1 serve of fruit per juice.

Joe Cross has some great resources on his site on how to prepare juice, tips and ingredient substitution!


How do I store my juice?
In air tight glass mason jars, filled right to the top to eliminate the most oxygen possible to allow them to keep in the fridge for up to 72 hours or freeze for a week (don't fill it to the top though). Additionally when produce is available/cheap I juice large quantities of things like greens and freeze them into ice cubes to add to future juices.

Stay tuned for my upcoming juice fast updates!

Love and Smiles,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...